Saturday, June 13, 2009

entry 4

I've found an interesting free speech article about a man who was fired for writing a letter to the editor criticizing George W. Bush. Here's the link http://docs.newsbank.com/openurl?ctx_ver=z39.88-2004&rft_id=info:sid/iw.newsbank.com:AWNB:CLOB&rft_val_format=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:ctx&rft_dat=128CD277203BD4C0&svc_dat=InfoWeb:aggregated5&req_dat=0ED5223F5C1C57DF

Clearly, this man has the right to express his opinions about his political views. He was not a threat to national security. He was not writing on behalf of his workplace. He was fired because one of his bosses was a former Republican state representative. The man who was fired sued for wrongful dismissal. The case was settled for $150,000.

I can't imagine how this man's employer thought a letter to the editor about politics would be grounds for dismissal. I could agree that if the letter criticized the employer in a way that was a threat to security or was libelous, but not this. In the US we have the right to discuss our political opinions. The US Declaration of Independence states that if our government no longer works, we can get rid of it and start again. "That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." We have the right to talk about these things. We should not live in fear of losing our jobs if we exercise our rights.


This is the link I used to quote the Declaration
http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/index.htm

7 comments:

  1. I wonder how much of this goes on in the government world. Politics are in their own little world of what is right and what is wrong. I wonder what happened to the man that fired the him. I am glad he sued, hopefully it will make others aware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Great and interesting posting, I was surprised to learn that they fired Tim Kniest for his personal thoughts/opionion regarding president Bush. I also feel we as humans/Americans have a right to express ourselves..(Freedom of Speech). After reading this article, Tim Kniest has a right to express his thoughts on the way Bush works as a president. I'm sure there are thousands of people who dislike Obama and say many negative things about him, but I don't think they should be fired because they are expressing what they feel/believe. After reading this article, I was surprised with the amount of money he received compared to the amount of money he made each year before he was fired. But in the end thank goodness he received something. Also, I would have liked to learn if the former Republican state representative was reprimanded for his actions or behavior, and if Tim Kniest was even offered his job back???

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear that Kniest at least got a settlement for the whole ordeal. To take this discussion further, I wonder how most people about making their politics/religion known in the workplace. A employer can't fire you for such things, but I think people generally try to make their politics/religion quiet so as not to create conflict. In this case, Kniest was obviously fired for writing the letter, but I wonder in how many instances employees are afraid to make their religion/politics known because of fear of mistreatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly he should not have been fired, but this made me think about how much I keep my personal view points and ideas away from work. I sometimes feel like I'm one person at work and another at home. I don't know if I do this out of fear for what my employers might think of me or just because I'm extremely private...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an interesting article. I think it really says something about politics when a former Republican representative does not honor the First Amendment Rights and fires someone over a letter to the editor. I would not be as appalled if the boss had no political background and was just a Bush fan, but as a former representative he should have known that what he did was an enfringement on this man's rights.

    Also I feel sorry for the other employees, I would feel very uncomfortable working there. I would feel my every move at work and outside of work was being watched. UGH !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa and Jamie, I know what you mean about being afraid to say too much at work. We have rights, but there is always the chance that things could get uncomfortable if we don't agree with the norm or if we are too vocal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The point raised about bringing up politics at work is one I was just discussing last week with a friend. We were wondering whether the rise of social networking sites, on which a lot of formerly private information is shared, contributes to the changes in social norms these days. That is, many people (especially younger) don't consider it impolite at all to openly discuss things like salary, personal political views, and other things I was always told never to discuss in "public." I am always reticent to "talk politics" and was actually recently teased about this -- at work of all places -- because my library is chalk full of Obama supporters and during the recent controversy about whether or not he should speak at Notre Dame, we all bought t-shirts from one of our student workers, who was selling "Obama? Fine by me!" shirts. Most of my co-workers wore them in to work the next day, and they teased me for not doing so... but it really just boiled down to me thinking I shouldn't openly display political views in the workplace. Nevermind that everyone there clearly knows my views... But a case like the one you bring up here, Abby, reminds me that maybe it is a good idea - certainly if you don't know how people will react - to keep your mouth shut sometimes! With that said, I am appalled that this man was fired... awful! And illegal!

    ReplyDelete